Tuesday 17 March 2009

Talk about insights again

Recently I've been talking a lot about insights. Insights from your research, insights from your clients, your target users, insights for your ideas, insights from the talks, seminars, Ad-rules, insights here, insights there, insights everywhere. If you have followed my tutorials or this blog closely then you'll know what I mean.

While I am struggling for what to say every night before I go to bed - believe me, it's a difficult time for people my age logging in and start a new post before 12 pm just to make sure the time of my post would still be on the same day although in reality it was always finished after 12 - because I have promised to give you an Ad-rule a day. This insight thing has always come up to me. "What are the insights I got from my students?" and I found some which interestingly, have similarities with the main topic we are talking about on this blog - Advertising. I'll use them as sources of provocation to hit you on the head.

One of the insights I found is that students are, like most of the ads these days, alike. To elaborate it a little further, i.e. they look and act the same. There is a great inclination towards a certain level of sameness, a me-too mania, and the kind of clone thinking which I think are the reasons why most of our ads are boring. The fact that we all pay safe and thus be well indulged in our comfort zone, taking for granted what ever ways told and proved to be successful ( I did it in the last project and I got a good mark then it should be good to adapt the same old trick again to sell my product). Sorry, it's not! Creativity has no reference point. It all starts anew.

So what does it lead you to think about your creaive concept or big idea?

2 comments:

briankong said...

thanks for sharing !
i think "insight can lead us to think about our right creative concept."

衛柏直 said...

thanks for your sharing ,Thomas.