Monday 16 March 2009

Points to note from my tutorial today

Today I had some tutorials with my group and I had some observations which I'd like to share with all of you here.
Picture this, and tell me what would you do if you were me (the lecturer)?

One group stared with miserable faces telling me what they were going to do with the charecter, and attempted to tell me the "story" why they have thought it was useful and interesting. I stopped them immediately because I didn't need to know the story before I knew it would work or not. Because creativity needs not be explained. It just happens! So how could I react without seeing the visual (sketch)?

Another group showed me a few sketches (which was already seen as a bonus because sketches were just so rare these days) and attempted to seek for my approval to go ahead. I demonstrated how easy it was for them to decide by simply asking questions of "so what?" and how to identify the "insights" even in the idea development stage. So my approval was unnecessary.

A third group told me that they could not give me the idea sketches because they were still struggling for the "big idea". What a 本末倒置's thinking? Isn't that big idea is the purified idea after all the testing and abandoning of the many many small ideas? So how can you find big idea without working over with the small ones?

Or some might said that they were not 100% comfortable with the insight, so they need a bit of time to drill more before they could make an idea. Come on, creative people hate anything comfortable, that's why we are in a constant search of exciting things, people and places. Creative people are restless, they have the guts to deal with everything on earth, because they have the gift of unlimited resource - imagination.

So What I'm trying to say here is, the research part is over, you've got your insights (if you are lucky), it's time to move on and start the creative thinking. Forget all you have found out about the client, product, users, market, etc. They are unlikely to give you any hints if your creative mind still refuse to work. As the philosopher Emund Burke said, "You can't plan the future by the past." It's time to take up a pencil (don't even think of the bloody computer, they are useless at this stage) and start doddling and draw down your ideas, no matter how raw they are, just think, and show it to your peers, tutors and then you should get their responses.

Remember my saying, I am here to do the talking, not you. You are here to show me your doing, don't talk. So don't talk your ideas, show them. Creative idea doesn't need explanation, they will sell on their own and everybody will love them instantly. As I demonstrated today, don't under estimate yourself and the power of force fitting and free association, you know what I mean, Brian, Wingo, Die, Wingky, Wah...

And all these will lead you to the next ad-rule. Stay tunned! and give me some feedback if you want me to write more.

2 comments:

DDTse said...

Not bring anything to a tutor, I think it is rather a concern on the attitude and lacking of confident about their own ideas. Even for me, I won't spend a second on an air-talk presentation. Great sharing, thanks Tom.

衛柏直 said...

HA~I think i understand what u mean,thank you.