Thursday 2 April 2009

Silence is NOT golden!

Yes this is a provocation and I am challenging you with it!
As a matter of fact, I'm provoking you - my silent students!
What's the use of your mouth? Eating? May be. But I wonder if eating is the sole purpose of the mouth cause it is only used for around one hour a day.  Most of the time, it is used for talking, gossiping, moaning, shouting, laughing, crying... I can't imagine that it is closed the rest of 23 hours a day.
Of course, your mouth cannot function on its own, it needs to work with your brain.  What's the use of your brain?  Tell me if it's not for thinking, dreaming, imagining... and amazingly, it is always working.
So if your brain is working, why is it so difficult to say something?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe this can help for kick off ....

http://www.visualthesaurus.com/

Thomas Kan said...

May be. I think the crucial part is not whether we have a bank of words in our mind before we say something, it's whether we are willing to try and accept the fact that we may not say the right things - who cares anyway? My point is as long as we are willing to say something to people around us, we start a dialogue, and it's enough to kick off. Creative people are not afraid of making mistakes, they fight for every opportunity to express themselves.

Unknown said...

Agree!
Student shouldn't worry about making mistakes. You have nothing to loss! You are paying to learn from mistake. You've been silent for the last 10 years in traditional education. Here (creative training) is a chance for you to change otherwise save your parents' money !!!

Thomas Kan said...

I always think that young people have a privilege to say whatever they want to say. They are 'safe' in a sense that no one would blame them if it doesn't sound right or appropriate (in the name of youth, you know?). That's why it worries me if they choose not to speak. Even if one chooses to be silent, I doubt if he can make it. Cause theye is no complete silence in a man's world.